Wednesday 25 April 2018

How can I overcome my past life?

Mama T, do you mean after you gave your life to Christ, you automatically became strong to overcome sin and no more temptations to go back? How can I overcome sin? What are the practical steps to take in overcoming sin?
.
After I returned back to my Creator, I became more broke smiles, you remember I told you I had financial challenges and so the devil decided to use that tool to draw me back. I had men that I did not say yes or no to but I collect their money to help myself and family, but the Spirit of God did not permit me to do it again after the rededication. It is deceit, no more no less and what I won't eat, why smell it?
.
I was pushed to the wall on a certain day and I went to one of them but guess what he told me 'but you're now born again', I left that place immediately to God for forgiveness and find a way forward and I resolved to quit using my manpower - to cease from my struggles and rely on Him for grace, strength and breakthrough.
.
I was sex thirsty, I started struggling with this feeling, my ex came begging for another chance which he promised to be better, the other man too was enticing me with money, I struggled with all this till I completely rest on His grace to help me.
.
Did that grace helped? Yes absolutely, I did not return to my vomit by His grace. Let's consider the steps or tips that helped me which I trust God that it would help you.
.
1. Give up and count on your resurrection with Christ.
.
You have to realize you cannot help yourself, give up trying to do it with your strength. Only until you give up and die to such futile efforts will God be able to move upon you to be victorious. You must die to self, then He will resurrect you. Let the Holy Spirit help you always, He alone can help, ask for the Holy Spirit.
.
2. Equip yourself with the Word of God.
.
Psa 119:9, "Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word". Psalm 119:11; "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee".
.
The Word of God has the power in itself to resist sin believe me, then more of His Word in you, the more your strength to resist because the Word is power. Remember, you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free (John 8:32).
.
3. Don't give room for the flesh. How can you do that?
.
i. Guard your thought life. Out of the abundance of the heart, the body acts (paraphrased) You cannot have a clean mind if you read dirty magazines and look at dirty shows or watch ungodly movies or programs.
ii. Avoid friends that would pull you back to your old life, let them go.
iii. Know your weak point and work on avoiding it or anything that can trigger it.
iv. Don't go to everywhere, choose where you go, do not go to places where Christ will not be glorified.
v. Be busy with the things of God and finding purpose.
.
His grace is available for use, remember that being born again means to leave behind this land of sin and enter God's country of grace. I pray for you that the grace to remain in Christ and overcome sin, the Lord will release upon you in Jesus name.
.

Oluwatoyin Aremu

No comments:

Post a Comment